About Me

My photo
the dandenongs, victoria, Australia
an artist and it solution architect living in the temperate rainforest of southeastern australia

Sunday, September 13, 2009

frost killing hour - v++ (so it goes)

NUMBER 5

the evolution of a painting idea for me is normally a private matter. if the idea is exposed and goes nowhere it runs the risk of being a half-baked embarassment. but actually, that does not matter,,,
NUMBER 8

number "vi" may be the best result in the series so far. but that is if i am the judge. and i am not allowed to be the judge. fkh "v" has better shapes, imho...

NUMBER 6

so, these are the next paintings in the "frost killing hour" series. thanks again to natalie for the inspiration.

Well content loves the silence
It thrives in the dark
With fine winding tendrils
That strangle the heart
They say that promises sweeten the blow
But I don't need them, no
I don't need them
I've been treated so wrong
I've been treated so long
As if I'm becoming untouchable
I'm the slow dying flower
In the frost killing hour

NUMBER 7

Sweet turning sour anduntouchable
Oh, I need the darkness
The sweetness
The sadness
The weakness
Oh, I need this
I need a lullaby
A kiss good night
Angel sweet love of my life
Oh, I need this

so it goes...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like number five as well! The ghost like trees in the background and the way you have used "blooms" to create the more distant trees in the main grouping really works well.

joel said...

Thanks Patty! great to see you here!

you are right about #5. those shapes will lead to the next iterations!

perugina said...

una delicatezza e bellezza fragile,
che toglie il respiro


They all take my breath away Joel!

joel said...

my lovely patricia, thank you for your lovely words. you know what lovely Italian words do to me don't you?

thanks for your positive comments!

:)

Nick said...

It's exciting to see the progression with these - it could be a textbook for how people ought to learn watercolor, it's peculiarities and how to gradually make them work for you. Didn't know before I just read it that you're into Nita Engle (might want to check the spelling), and now I see the connection. You both are into the special effects of light and atmosphere. I think her "How to Make a Watercolor Paint Itself" is one of the very best books out there, maybe THE best.

joel said...

thanks Nick, Nita Engle's book is one of the first i bought. (i think the spelling is correct_.

i thought she was totally mad and i started using some of her techniques immediately, because, i am also slightly mad (???).

i think almost every landscape i do incorporates some of her teaching. but i have evolved it to suit what i want to say.

i hope to get the chance to teach what i do someday. i think we should arrange a workshop somewhere with a wide variety of artists. it would be a total blast!

light and atmospshere and color, i like doing it. i cannot stop doing it. i want to do more of it. if you can see her influence in my work then i am very happy indeed!!!

-- Joel.